Friday 1 February 2013

2x20 at FTP (bailed out)

After another day on the road I was looking forward to a 2x20 at FTP (307W) session, I consider these to be a very efficient way of getting some good training in and I tend to struggle a bit on the second 20 from time to time. Today was no different. After a good warm up and a successful first 20 (at 309W) I settled into the recovery interval ready for the second 20. 4 minutes into it I started to feel uncomfortable and the I suffered from the quits, head down and hating the effort. I hate stopping a turbo session and always have a 'bail-out' option to ensure that I don't just stop when things get tough, but back off enough to recover to do something useful. Back at around 280-290W I let my HR stabilise but when I tried to increase the power I got the same uncomfortable feeling again; like my body telling me it was just too difficult even though I know the power is within me to achieve it.


So, I thought I'd teach my body a lesson and finished with 7x1 min intervals with a 1 min RI between. The intervals ended up as 330, 336, 360, 363, 345, 373, 378W with some good lactic burn in my thighs on some of them. Looking back, it's a long while since I've done some proper high intensity intervals so I feel like I need to do some to remind my body that it's there to work hard and recover well for racing rather than just bashing out 60 minute sessions around 80-110% FTP. February will see a transition towards shorter harder intervals.

No comments:

Post a Comment